Sunday, May 20, 2012

I AM 100% DONE FRAMING!!!

Can you believe it?!?!?!?  I'm actually done!  No more 99% or 99.99%   100%!!!!!!
And now, let the paneling begin.....
So far its not too tough.   My original plan was to mainly hold the paneling with small brad's from my air nailer, and then use screws with finish washers to give a little extra "holding" power.  But it only took about 2 nails to realize that brad nails just won't cut it.  The heads on the nails are just too tiny and paneling is too heavy.  So I ended up having to use the screws for the entire thing.  But i guess it won't ever move!

The ceiling was very easy.   (Thanks to Abraham's help)  He was working on his car at my house so I took advantage and had him hold the panels up while I secured them.  I just had to cut the ends off and slap them up.  One cut out for ceiling vent, but the router made quick work of that!

I'm starting on the sides now, but they are NOT easy!  Almost every panel has 2 or 3 windows or doors to cut out.  Not to mention getting the curve right.  And I couldn't measure off everything using a level because the trailer itself is unlevel.  The driveway is too steep to get it level.  Originally I was planning on using this stuff called "gimp" that was used in the trailers when there were built.  It hides the seams of the panels where they meet.  But I couldn't get it close enough, so I'm going to put quarter-round up instead.  I've seen quite a few people do this and it looks good.  Once I get more pictures of the side walls I will put them up.

But the goal is to have all the paneling installed by the end of the week.  Following that, its rebuilding cabinets and running the AC electrical.  Maybe even hook up the DC lights!!!    How exciting!!!


I also bought a few goodies from someone online.  He had an ad in the vintage trailer forum that I use for help.  He was super nice and found all the parts I wanted.  I bought window trim for the front 2 dinette windows, an outside vent cover, and the trim from the roof vent.  I'm still looking for the trim piece that goes along the bottom of the door.  I may end up fabricating my own....













No comments:

Post a Comment