Thursday, April 19, 2012

Propane to electric light conversion.

Tonight I spend some time on a "fun" project.  We are not planning on running any propane in our shasta when its done.  But I really liked the look of the propane light that is mounted above the dinette.  I thought it adds a lot of character to the interior.

So I converted it to electric!  It wasn't too hard and I'm super happy with the results.


Here is how I did it...



First I disassembled it, and also opened the valve all the way.




Then I used a drill to widen the channel the gas originally travel through to make room for the 12v wiring.





I bought this light from my local RV store for around 8 bucks.
I removed the socket from this light to use in my converted light.




I ran the wires through the now wider housing.  Next, I re-assembled the light.
Then I soldered the new socket on the wiring.





Pulled the slack in the wire back until I thought the bulb was in the middle of the glass globe and tested!




4 comments:

  1. Love it! It's the little things that make such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you put a switch for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tapped into the factory light wiring that is just below it on the underside of the cabinet. Works great!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete