Sunday, April 29, 2012

And then there was light!

Yes SIR!   LIGHTS!!!!  Trailer lights!!!!!  Now I could actually tow it somewhere if I wanted.  (I'm sure my neighbors would love it if I towed it............somewhere else!)

I did a complete re-wire of the entire trailer light system.  It actually wasn't too hard, and I kinda enjoy doing that sort of stuff.  Although, there was one problem that frustrated me.  Basically I was paranoid that I would get them all hooked up and they wouldn't work.  SO, after every step, I mean EVERY step, I would connect my 12volt Dewalt cordless battery to it just to make sure its still working.  So it went a little like this.....

Install front curb-side marker light.......Test------OK!
Install front Street-side marker light......Test----OK!
Install rear curb-side marker light........Test-------OK!
Install rear street-side marker light.......Test-------OK!
Install License Plate light.........Test-------OK!
Install rear curb side running/brake/turn light.........Test-------OK!
Install rear street side running/brake/turn light.........Test-------OK!

Run final test of entire systems lights..........Test---------NOT OK!

I tested everything and at the final step, everything quit working.  UGH!  Then it took me an hour to track down the problem.  Which was......In the License plate light, someone had tried to repair the wiring in the socket.  But it wasn't done properly so the 12v lead was contacting the outside of the socket thus grounding out the circuit.  (sorry for the techno-babble)

But now I'm glad to report that they are now ALL working!  I need to decide if I'm going to hook up the electric brakes too.  But that's a whole new can of tuna....



I KNOW it seems that I always say, I'm nearly done framing!  But, I am 99.9999999% done.  Now its just putting in chunks of plywood so that grills, lights and other accessories can be screwed into something secure.

Brandi and I also decided after a long heart-to-heart.  That we were going to remove the ceiling vent, reseal, and put back in.  I initially wanted to just slop on another layer of sealant on the outside, but it seemed that if it leaked later on down the road I would be kicking myself.   I also read on the shasta forums, to "shim" up the vent to make sure its the highest point on the roof so that water doesn't sit on the seals.



Here are the wires coming inside the trailer.





So here I had to make a channel for the wire to go thru to get to the light.
I can hear Chuck Meeker laughing at my not so strait router skills.  :)
A little credit though. 
1.         I was using it on the wall because the board was already installed.
2.             I haven't used a router since freshman High School shop class!
Oh, and when you use a router in a camper like this, its like being in a tin can.  NO amount of hearing protection can prepare you for this!





Re-attached rear light.  Not sure why these have 2 sockets.  But the top one was bad.  Gladly, the bottom light is a dual, so it works just fine.





Here is the before picture of the roof vent.  If you enlarge the picture, you can see the rotten wood from it leaking.



And the AFTER picture.  Looks much better! 





Here is the new roof piece.  You can see the steel that I laminated along side to add strength. 






And finally, Brandi started looking into fabric for the curtains.  I believe she said she wants,
"Rustic Retro modern-cabin".  If anyone knows what that means, please let me know!

                          Heres a couple of samples we picked up, we want your true thoughts:

                                             Not to be used together, just pic taken together:

We liked this combo in the store, but when we got it home, it was too much "Camo", and not enough
""Rustic Retro modern-cabin".   (Again...???)

1 comment:

  1. LOL! But to be fair, you only worry about straight when somebody's going to see it when it's done. I assume you're going to cover it in paneling, never to be seen (or criticized) again.

    --Chuck

    ReplyDelete