Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Epic Fail

I think that best describes the day we had working on the shasta.  Nothing....I mean NOTHING, was going well! 


Goals for the day:
   1.  Fix rotten framing on entire trailer.
   2.  Remove J-rail from both sides.
   3.  Remove all old butyl tape from both sides.
   4.  Install new butyl tape on both sides.
   5.  Re-install J-rail with new screws on both sides.
   6.  Remove front window.


Actual goals accomplished:
   1.   Removed J-rail from one side.
   2.   Removed old butyl tape.
   3.   Removed front window.


We only got maybe 20% of out goals done.  Not good.
It was like Humpty-Dumpty.  There was NO putting it back together! 
First, I couldn't get the replacement framing to fit, then the roof and side skins wouldn't match up. 


The curves of the trailer make it very hard to replicate.  I tried to soak small strips of plywood in the tub, and then bend them around the framing, but it just wouldn't bend enough.  So after a few hours of beating my head against the wall, I conceded defeat and took an extended break.


Jay came over on later Sunday and we bent some plywood strips around a curved frame I made, so we'll see how that works....






Here I am blissfully unaware of the Chernobyl-like disaster of a day that is fast approaching.



One of myriads of twist style nails that I removed.
The nails just pulled thru the aluminum.  Yet another sign things were heading down hill!




Brandi did an AMAZING job cleaning the old butyl tape of the J-rail!!!
See the before picture of it cover with all the crud.  And the beautiful shiny after picture!  Really the only good thing from the day.





And now realization that my trailer is in pieces, its supposed to rain for the next couple days, and I can't get it back together.
The roof is now separated, never to be aligned properly again.   *sigh*






And lastly, Mom had rough week with loosing her two companions.
Now she only has 1 outside cat, 1 inside cat, several fish in the square aquarium, several fish in the pond, other outside cat (oops forgot about the Tomcat), several chickens (also minus 1 recently, bummer),
and dad. 
Oh how I love to give her a hard time!  :)
But, I know it's hard to loose beloved pets, without a doubt they will be missed by everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment