Thursday, March 15, 2012

Giant Puzzle box named "Bob".

Sorry for the delay in updating with my blog.  My progress has been hampered by the cold, wet weather.  For now, it seems we'll have a good solid week of nice temps to try and get a lot of work done!




So far....
I've continued to tear out the insides.  Now, you may think, "MAN is he slooooooow".  But I'm tellin ya, these things are NOT made to come apart!!!!  Its like those toy puzzle boxes that contain something REALLY cool, and you REALLY, REALLY want whats inside it.  If you only you could figure out how to get inside the dumb box!!!!   


That's how it feels to work on a Shasta!  Its just a lot of slow work, trying to figure things out as you go.
One reason that it's taking longer is that I'm trying to keep all the wood paneling in their original shape and size.   That way, when cut new ones, I can use the old for templates and get a perfect fit.  Especially important since they have lots of curves that would be hard to recreate from scratch.
Its hard to believe, but all the wall framing in held together with staples.  And I don't mean like big, HONKIN, staples.  They are TINY, like the ones out of a small hand stapler!  I am surprised that these old campers didn't crumble at highway speeds!


This is a hole to nowhere I found today.  It was stuffed with foam.  I think I decided today that I won't tear up the floor.  It's 80% good, so I'm just going to add a 1/2 layer of plywood and add any needed support on the underside.



Also, the rot from being wet on the backside of the trailer is waaaaay worse than I thought.  When I removed a chunk of wood, the piece behind it was totally rotted out and fell down thru to the ground.  (I hope there aren't any nails!!!!)



I hope to hit it hard this weekend sometime since it sounds like the weather will cooperate!



MISO SAYS HELLO!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment